Need to file a report to MDPH? Requirements and links to reports are here.
This program introduces nurse leaders to CSHS grant management and requirements. Please complete the pre-work, watch the video of this training recorded in 2020, and download and review the tools provided.
- Be sure to complete the pre-work for this training as follows:
- Read your district's CSHS grant narrative.
- Review your district's CSHS budget.
- Find and review a previously submitted monthly report and the annual status report.
- Access the recording of this training (1 hour, 17 minutes).
Download the following tools:
- Guidelines for Choosing Professional Development Offerings
- PDSA & QI Activity (new!)
- CSHS Grant Budget Job Aid
- CSHS Performance Measures Job Aid (updated!)
- CSHS Grant Form Email Box Reference Sheet
- For CSHS Reporting Tools, News, and Resources, see the MDPH School Health Services Resources Page.
FY21 Clinical Update: Asthma in Home and in School
This course is now available as self-paced training. The topics of this exciting program include racial equity, safe cleaning, indoor triggers, medications, and medical management, particularly concerning COVID-19. This training includes presentations by subject matter experts from the CDC and the MDPH Asthma Prevention and Control Program, among others, who deliver the latest updates.
This course is free and can be accessed anytime here.
Managing your CSHS Budget
This self-paced course is designed for nurse leaders in districts that have received funding through the CSHS grant. This course builds confidence and competence in managing the CSHS budget. Topics covered include understanding your district’s CSHS grant scope, allowable expenses, working with your business office to create solid tracking systems, amending and reconciling your grant expenses, and meeting grant timelines and requirements.
Register for this course here (an audit/free version is also available).
(ENDURING) Cultivating Regulation and Resilience Amid Ongoing Uncertainties and Inequities
This course is a recording of a CSHS session on October 7th, 2021. The course offers an understanding of how trauma and barriers to essential services are disproportionately impacting specific populations and cultivates awareness of the effects that chronic uncertainty has on students.
If interested, please register for this course here. Purchase orders (POs) are available at course check-out by selecting "shield invoice".
CSHS Meeting Dates
These meetings are designed for School Nurse Managers in districts that have received either the Model or Affiliated CSHS grant. Sessions will be delivered live via Zoom and the last meeting will be in person.
SHIELD is excited to partner with Boston University’s Wheelock College faculty to deliver a comprehensive four-part professional development program where we will explore racial equity: our history and legacy, racism in education and healthcare, the role of school nurses in creating equitable student experiences, and applying best practice approaches in our nursing practice. The focus of this series aligns with CSHS scope of service requirements.
Mark your calendars for the FY23 School Year CSHS meeting below. Registration links will be shared soon!
- October 6th, 2022, 1:00 - 3:15 PM (Zoom): Understanding the History of Racism and its Legacy that impacts students today
- December 8th, 2022, 1:00 - 3:15 PM (Zoom): Racism in Education: Physiological Consequences
- February 9th, 2023, 1:00 - 3:15 PM (Zoom): Utilizing data to make informed decisions
- May 11th, 2023, 9:00 - 2:00 PM (In-Person Session held at ): Taking on your role in an anti-racist educational system and creating an equitable student experience
The Comprehensive School Health Services (CSHS) Regional Consultants sponsor meetings for all regional school nurse leaders. These meetings provide networking and consultation opportunities in areas such as leadership development, policies, emergency preparedness, and the role of the school nurse leader.
FY23 All Regions Regional Meetings
Select the link for each meeting date to register for Zoom. After registration, a confirmation e-mail will come from BU SHIELD containing a meeting link and access code.
- October 19, 2022, 1:00 - 3:00 PM (Topics: Vaping in Schools and MDPH Update on Abortion Access)
- February 15, 2023, 1:00 - 3:00 PM (Topic: Emerging Issues in Pediatric Infectious Disease)
West Regional Meeting (Berkshire, Franklin)
- May 17th, 2023
Southeast Regional Meeting
- May 18th, 2023
Northeast Regional Meeting
- May 19th, 2023
Central Regional Meeting
- May 22th, 2023
Boston/Metrowest Regional Meeting
- May 23th, 2023
West Regional Meeting (Hampden, Hampshire)
- May 24th, 2023
Previous Recording of Regional Meetings
FY21 Regional Meeting Resources can be found here.
FY22 All Regions Regional Meeting
- Returning back to School (on October 20th, 2021, 1:00 - 3:00 PM)
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Assault/Abuse: Considerations for School Nurses (on January 26th, 2022, 1:00 - 3:00 PM)
- Welcoming refugee students: An introduction to refugee student health for MA school nurses (on March 16th, 2022, 1:00 - 3:00 PM)
School and Community Health Equity Needs Assessment (SCHENA)
This course is currently being updated.