- Revised! School Health Screening Handbook July 30th, 2022 (PDF)
- Updated! MA Vision Screening Protocols, Updated September 14, 2022 (PDF)
- New! Sample Vision Equipment and Supplies List - 2022 (PDF)
- Vision/Hearing/Heights/Weights Worksheet (Word Doc)
- Postural Screening Worksheet (Word Doc)
- Referral Tracking Worksheet (Word Doc)
- Vision Screenings:
- New! SHIELD course with updated vision screening (includes demonstration videos to test your knowledge, resources, and the updated handbook!)
- BMI Notification of Screening (Word Doc)
- Hearing Referral (Word Doc)
- Beyond Vision Screening: Addressing Barriers to Care - A Guide for School Nurses
- Prevent Blindness Resource Videos (Video recordings of presentations led by Prevent Blindness).
- Videos about common vision impairments and how they affect learning from Dr. Bruce Moore, OD, Professor Emeritus, New England College of Optometry
- Strabismus and Binocular Anomalies
Screening and Reporting Resources
- SBIRT in Schools: FAQ, August 2021 (PDF)
- Updated! SBIRT in Schools Resource Toolkit, Revised on September 8, 2022 (PDF)
- This toolkit is designed to assist SBIRT teams in planning their annual verbal substance use screening programs. It provides information about the law, the SBIRT process, planning resources, reporting requirements, education resources, and links to helpful websites. The appendices contain tools and samples school SBIRT teams can use when conducting SBIRT.
- MASBIRT TTA: SBIRT Training and Resource Materials
- Resources on this site include the most current screening tools (CRAFFT+N in English and translated to multiple languages), sample letters, helpful resources, and a variety of training resources.
- Screening Tools:
- CRAFFT+N: SBIRT in Schools Questionnaire (English) (PDF)
- CRAFFT+N: SBIRT in Schools Questionnaire (Translated in multiple languages)
- Orange Card (PDF)
- Sample Parent Notification Letter (English) (Word Doc)
- Sample Parent Notification Letter (Translated in multiple languages)
- Sample Consent for Disclosure (Word Doc)
- DPH BSAS Substance Use Referral Information (PDF)
MDPH Data Collection and Reporting Forms
- FY23 CSHS Status Report - Nonfunded Public Schools
- FY23 Instructions for submitting school health data
- SBIRT Screening Tool FY22 (Excel)
- This is an optional tool to collect SBIRT screening data from multiple screeners. The Checkbox data collection form is required for submitting data to MDPH.
- Adolescent Community Reinforcement Approach (A-CRA) provider
- Schools needing support around referrals to treatment after a positive SBIRT screen should consider contacting their local A-CRA Provider listed on the Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline or by calling 800-327-5050.
- Bureau of Substance Addiction Services (BSAS)
- BSAS oversees the statewide system of prevention, intervention, treatment, and recovery support services for individuals, families, and communities affected by gambling and substance addiction.
- Office of Youth and Young Adult Services (OYYAS)
- BSAS’s dedicated office for the oversight of state-funded, substance use-related services for youth and young adults ages 8-26. OYYAS oversees the implementation, enhancement, and sustainability of developmentally tailored services including: intervention, treatment, and recovery supports.
- Hand Hold
- A site for parents developed by OYYAS and the Department of Mental Health
- Motivational Interviewing for Every Day Families
- Free self-paced course for parents to learn more about motivational interviewing
- Massachusetts Tobacco Cessation and Prevention Program – Take the first step toward a nicotine-free life
- Massachusetts' tobacco and nicotine Quitline: 1-800-QUIT-NOW